Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Commands

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 20:30:36 +0000

Yes, pretty much everyone uses Davidsonian event variables these days. With theta/thematic roles and in a lambda structure. At least non-statistical, i.e., symbolic/linguistic NLP approaches do.

I was mentioning ACL and KQML because people tend to forget what went before. And so they are doomed to reinvent the wheel time and again. ACL and  KQML explicitly used speech act theory.

E.g., most service folks (SOA) don’t know that intelligent agent technology largely did what they are redoing, i.e., agent tasks can be considered “services”, agent coordination and planning/task representation can be considered inter-service orchestration/choreography.  Most SOA folks also seem to have forgotten the original grounding in planning (except the OWL-S folks, perhaps, who use a reactive planning view and process models, along with their ontologies), and the distributed AI work of Vic Lesser et al in the late 1980s.

Thanks,

Leo