Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Commands

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:00:23 +0000

Some (we do) model both the linguistic semantics side (e.g., verbs, etc.) and the events they “denote” on the ontological side. The former address lexical semantics typically, with NLP/computational linguistics applications then performing the compositional semantics that map to the (composed) denotations. Some events will be requests, commands, etc. Obviously this depends on the application: if you don’t have human language input, you don’t need the lexical/semantic resources.

Event ontologies do often follow semantic conventions, e.g., achievements, accomplishments, cognitive states, etc. And performatives. A request event can include a “question” event, i.e, requesting information much like a query. A query is a kind of event.

The old (and maybe current) Agent Control Languages such as KQML and FIPA’s (Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents) ACL called out performatives as agent-based pragmatics that could then apply to propositional content expressed in ontology/knowledge representation languages, i.e., ontological constructs. Intelligent agents would thus communicate using perfomatives with ontological assertions/queries as a kind of payload.

Thanks,

Leo