Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:44:29 -0500

Leo,

I think the key word in your original reply to Rich was “greatly”.  I believe this implicitly acknowledges that there will be some degree of differences in interpretation of the semantics of the respective participants. The key issue is what degree of difference in interpretation is material in any given shared context. My personal belief is that the answer is itself context dependent. In other words, the scope of the differences in shared meaning that are pragmatically tolerable depends on the context in which these differences exist, and the willingness of the participants in that shared context to execute a “discovery” protocol to uncover and resolve any differences that might be material to that shared context.

Using the earlier example of different meanings of “policy” that Matthew brought up,  the life insurance company context  influences the meaning of “policy”. That context has scope, so policy might mean something a bit different in a fire insurance or automobile insurance context, and it might have somewhat different meanings across different life insurance companies. And in other contexts, such as, say, cyber security or human resources, policy might mean something completely different. Even in a narrow institutional context of a single life insurance company, the definition of a life insurance policy might change with different customer/operational jurisdictions, like different states or countries, and there might be different types of policies, and different associations between customers and a policy. For example, a customer might be a person or a company, with differences depending on which it is. A policy with a company might be a “master” policy, with different employees of that company having “sub-policies” that belong to the context of the “master” policy. Individual employees might view their policy with the insurance company as their own private policy, but such a policy is not same as one that an individual might negotiation directly with the insurance company, other things being equal, because it is typically subject to the individual continuing to be an employee of the company with the “master” policy. So if someone tells you that they have a life insurance policy with, say, MetLife, the meaning is somewhat different if that policy is through an employer rather than directly between MetLife and the individual. This difference might not be material in many contexts, but if you are discussing retirement planning with a financial advisor, I can assure you that the difference is quite material in that context.

Hans Polzer