Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:41:02 -0500
Matthew -

On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Matthew West wrote:

I would have expected you to support them in this from your remarks, rather than be critical.

"Different perspective" would be my preferred term.

If the world of ontology would clearly & openly state: "An ontology is useful for this & not for that" I'd be far happier & less acrid.

If logic would help with the maintenance & design of software systems, I'd be all for it.  But if logic hobbles the use of terms to a single meaning, then clearly logic isn't much use in maintaining/developing systems.  The context of my view is commercial business systems, not life sciences.  I don't know if geology is closer to a life science.

As always I revert to my favorite, oft-repeated example... a life insurance company that found 70 different names for the core business concept (term?) "policy number."  In a business environment where product lines are bought & sold, systems are custom built by different teams & packages are bought, the reality is there will be many (illogical) names for the same thingy.

At one point I entertained delusions that ontologies would help with this issue (one conceptual label = many physical labels).  Obviously I no longer hope in that direction.