Re: [ontolog-forum] Siri's (Apple) Patent Application

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:50:09 -0800
Dear Jack,    (01)

I agree; Schank's scripts were natural outgrowths
of the procedural view in AI.  But could his
script be called an "ontology"?  That would take
some semantic wrangling, but maybe a case could be
made for it, maybe not, depending on how the
courts construe the word.      (02)

But the phrase "active ontology" is reminiscent of
Cyc's variously named components also.  Ali seems
to have some special interest in that phrase,
perhaps by its being switched to "active" in Siri
based on discovered context.  It’s the first work
I know (offhand) that deals with choosing among
ontologies, some of which may be inconsistent with
others.      (03)

-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper