[ontolog-forum] Scholarly communication, the next generation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, W3C HCLSIG hcls <public-semweb-lifesci@xxxxxx>, Linking Open Data <public-lod@xxxxxx>
From: Alexander Garcia Castro <alexgarciac@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:54:54 -0500

http://sepublica.mywikipaper.org/

SePublica2012 an ESWC2012 Workshop.  May 27-31, Heraklion, Greece.

At Sepublica we want to explore the future of scholarly communication and scientific publishing. As we are going through a transition between print media and Web media, Sepublica aims to provide researchers with a venue in which this future can be shaped. Consider research publications: Data sets and code are essential elements of data intensive research, but these are absent when the research is recorded and preserved by way of a scholarly journal article. Or consider news reports: Governments increasingly make public sector information available on the Web, and reporters use it, but news reports very rarely contain fine-grained links to such data sources.  At Sepublica we will discuss and present new ways of publishing, sharing, linking, and analyzing such scientific resources as well as reasoning over the data to discover new links  and scientific insights.

Workshop Format

We are planning to have a full day workshop with two main sessions. During the first part of the workshop accepted papers will be presented; the second part of the workshop will address by means of focus groups two main questions, namely “what do we want the future of scholarly communication to be?”  and “how could data be preserved and delivered in an interactive manner over scholarly communications?”. These focus groups will be followed by a panel discussion. As an outcome of these activities we will have a communique that will be the editorial for the workshop proceedings,

Dates

* workshop papers submission deadline: Feb 29

* workshop papers acceptance notification: April 1

* workshop papers camera ready: April 15

Submission

 https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sepublica2012

Issues to be addressed

  • Representation:
    • Formal representations of scientific data; ontologies for scientific information
    • What ontologies do we need for representing structural elements in a document?
    • How can we capture the semantics of rhetorical structures in scholarly communication, and of  hypotheses and scientific evidence?
    • Integration of quantitative and qualitative scientific information
    • How could RDF(a) and ontologies be used to represent the knowledge encoded in scientific documents and in general-interest media publications?
    • Connecting scientific publications with underlying research data sets
  • Technological Foundations:
    • Ontology-based visualization of scientific data
    • Provenance, quality, privacy and trust of scientific information
    • Linked Data for dissemination and archiving of research results, for collaboration and research networks, and for research assessment
    • How could we realize a paper with an API?  How could we have a paper as a database, as a knowledge base?
    • How is the paper an interface, gateway, to the web of data? How could such and interface be delivered in a contextual manner?
Applications and Use Cases:
  • Case studies on linked science, i.e., astronomy, biology, environmental and socio-economic impacts of global warming, statistics, environmental monitoring, cultural heritage, etc.
  • Barriers to the acceptance of linked science solutions and strategies to address these
  • Legal, ethical and economic aspects of Linked Data in science

--
Alexander Garcia
Florida State University Guest Professor