Re: [ontolog-forum] Self Interest Ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:32:30 -0800

Dear Ali and Ken,

That “century of the self” is only one third of the whole set of documentaries.  There are two other documentaries that play off “century” as an introduction.  These include:

The Power of Nightmares” which is about how the cold war mentality came to be a standard political driver; scare people enough and they will follow you.  For example, the global warmers who tell you that the anticipated two degrees of warming will end the planet as a habitable place unless we do their bidding and give them the money they want to do “science” about global warming.

The Trap” which portrays the struggle for freedom as orchestrated in the US and UK, and intended to overturn dictatorships around the world.  This is the most powerful of the three, IMHO, and well worth watching after being exposed to the first two.  This is a lovely interpretation of the Reagan administration, Blair administration, and the way the West has become a purveyor of democracy which, it seems, led to the Arab spring uprisings still going on in Syria.  Very well worth watching IMHO.

He paints John Nash, the schizophrenic mathematician who first developed game theory, as the theoretical origin of all these systems thinkers, so watching all three documentaries is my suggested homework.  Curtis’ viewpoint is deeply subjective, but there is a lot to think about in his work.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks for chiming in,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper