Re: [ontolog-forum] Solving the information federation problem

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: simf-rfp@xxxxxxx, jamsden@xxxxxxxxxx, Paul Brown <pbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:23:21 +0200
I sympathise with the war cry, "Total architecture is not a choice - it is a
concession to reality", for ontology is a full concession to reality.    (01)

How any intelligent system, natural or artificial or extraterrestrial,
represents or "understands" reality. A trillion worth question. But let's
try. There are generally four  hierarchical levels of meaning, modeling,
simulation, or "perception":
1. data (values, data points and raw data, symbols, signs of signals, or
stimuli, facts, observations, the web of data)
2. information (variables, as relational databases or metadata, giving
answers to "who", "what", "where", and "when" questions; the web of
information)
3. knowledge (relationships of variables, information as relationships,
schema, taxonomy, classification, "information federation", domain
ontologies, ordered collection of information, giving answers to "why" or
"how" questions; the web of knowledge)
4. wisdom (fundamental principles, patterns, rules and laws; intelligent
web, general ontology, universal ontology)
Ontology is the most powerful tool and algorithm the humans enjoy to
transform, structure or organize data to information to knowledge and to
wisdom, evolving as data models, information processing mechanism, knowledge
representation and reasoning systems, to its top level, fundamental
ontology, UFO, common ontology, upper level otology, etc.
Presently, most web ontology research at the initial levels of identifying
ontologies with data structures or information models.    (02)

If one looks for a universal hierarchy of knowledge, it could roughly look
like as the specification/generalization relationships (universal class
partitions): Ontology > Mathematics > Logics > Physics > Chemistry > Biology
 > Psychology > Sociology > ...    (03)

Azamat    (04)