Re: [ontolog-forum] Solving the information federation problem

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Price <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:15:30 +0100
There are of course things that organizations can do to start improving
the situation, but they have little to do with Ontolog-typical concerns
and so I doubt that the Ontolog Forum is the place to 'get on with' this
problem.    (01)

I think it's pretty clear now that the OMG cannot do it either - as has
been proven by the lack of progress on SIMF despite a valiant effort on
your part. FWIW it's very hard to push through the OMG 'everything is a
meta-model' and 'vested interests' barriers. Luckily, it seems to me
that a new language is actually pretty far down the list of important
mechanisms/approaches wrt information federation anyway.    (02)

Cory, this problem belongs in the W3C. I suggested that to you
previously, and the events of the past year have made that fact even
more clear in my mind - the solution has to be based in Web and Internet
standards and technologies. The Goverment Linked Open Data WG and the
RDB2RDF WG are examples of practical things happening in the W3C that
will hopefully make some real progress possible. More of that kind of
thing, perhaps more focused at this particular problem, seems like the
only practical way forward to me.    (03)

Cheers,
David    (04)

--
Managing Director and Consultant
TopQuadrant Limited. Registered in England No. 05614307