[ontolog-forum] Using FCA + DL

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:41:49 -0400
 From time to time, I've mentioned Formal Concept Analysis (FCA) as
an efficient and automatic way of deriving a lattice of categories
for an ontology.  But the FCA algorithms are limited to concepts (or
types or classes or categories) that are specified by conjunctions of
attributes (or features or properties or facets or monadic predicates).    (01)

Description Logics use a more expressive language that is a superset
of the FCA specifications.  However, it is possible to use FCA methods
to derive and/or verify the "backbone" of the hierarchy that uses just
conjunctions to define the types.    (02)

I recently received an offline request for references. There is a large
literature on the subject (which can be found by any search engine),
but I'd just like to mention one article as a starting point:    (03)

    http://www.aaai.org/Papers/IJCAI/2007/IJCAI07-035.pdf    (04)

Abstract below.  Note that the first two authors include a well-known
expert in the DL community (Franz Baader) and one of the original
developers of FCA (Bernhard Ganter).  So the methods have been
blessed by partisans from both sides.    (05)

There are many FCA tools available for download.  See the FCA
home page:  http://www.upriss.org.uk/fca/fca.html    (06)

John

Completing Description Logic Knowledge Bases using Formal Concept Analysis    (08)

Franz Baader, Bernhard Ganter, Barıs Sertkaya, and Ulrike Sattler    (09)

We propose an approach for extending both the terminological and
the assertional part of a Description Logic knowledge base by using
information provided by the knowledge base and by a domain expert.
The use of techniques from Formal Concept Analysis ensures that,
on the one hand, the interaction with the expert is kept to a
minimum, and, on the other hand, we can show that the extended
knowledge base is complete in a certain, well-defined sense.    (010)