Re: [ontolog-forum] Person Ontology Project

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Larry L. Johnson" <Larry.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chuck Allen <chucka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:33:31 -0400
Jim,    (01)

I wish you good fortune, but I think you need a very careful constraint
on the scope and purpose of the 'person ontology' to have any hope of
success.     (02)

About 10 years ago, there was active standardization of many
domain-specific models in the Object Management Group -- financial
objects,  workflows, "product data management" (authorizations,
assignments), medical information access, telecomm business info, etc.
A friend and longtime standards professional, Larry Johnson, organized a
"People Who Like People" get together at each quarterly meeting, with
the purpose of getting all the views in front of all the viewers, and
hopefully coming to some common base model.  After something like 8
meetings, we abandoned the effort.  It takes a lot of work to establish
a viable common base model that supports all the viewpoint models.    (03)

Similarly, after 7 years of work and 20+ standards, the HR-XML
consortium (Human Resources information sets) decided that for version 3
of the HR-XML standards suite, it was important to create a common base
model, because most of the principal concepts had different terms and
somewhat different interpretations in the separate HR-XML standards
(because they were produced by different working groups at different
times).  To the best of my knowledge, they are 2+ years into the effort
and still struggling.     (04)

And these are groups that are/were modeling at the UML level.  If you
want to put formal axioms into your ontology, it becomes even more
difficult to get agreement.  There were only 6 views of the legendary
elephant; there are many more views of 'person'.    (05)

Best of luck!    (06)

-Ed    (07)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (08)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (09)