Re: [ontolog-forum] Why most classifications are fuzzy

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:06:18 -0700

Hi Doug,

Comments below,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

-----Original Message-----
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of doug foxvog
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:44 AM
To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Why most classifications are fuzzy

On Thu, July 7, 2011 0:58, Rich Cooper said:

> Comments interspersed below,

> -Rich

[extract]

> DF:] The issues in the database world are different from those of the

> ontological world, and implications from one of the fields does not

> necessarily apply to the other.  However, i will respond to the database

> comments below, from an ontological perspective.

> RC:] Surely you are not implying that databases are not ontologically

> expressive;

I am not implying that.  I meant what i carefully said.  Different fields

have different perspectives and issues.  That in no way implies that

there is no connection between them.

But that is true of logic also.  The examples in logic always use symbols which are intuitively defined, just as database domains are.

> RC:] Perhaps you prefer to think of the universe as including classes

> AS WELL AS properties.

Yes, i prefer to do so.  Of course, any class is equivalent in extension

to a unary predicate.  The concept of Class in an ontological sense

carries a lot of meaning and implication -- all of which can be mapped

to information about unary predicates.

This is true, but not very practical in embedded engineering systems where performance is a critical issue, so the resources required to evaluate predicates discourage as much computation as possible in most such systems.

In the vehicle example, pattern recognition is used to identify the moose, possum, child, rabbit or duck in milliseconds so that the appropriate collision avoidance strategy can be selected and implemented while there is still time to avoid the collision.

Instead, the predicate function is based on collected laboratory databases of samples previously identified and classified through empirical experimentation.  The samples are related to avoidance strategies manually, and then stored in the embedded database as well.

Then the classifications are stored in lab and embedded database columns which index the recognition processing procedures.  So a database would contain indexes to recognition procedures, to object classes defined for the task, and to avoidance procedures keyed to the classification of the objects.

Classification is done over long time periods in the lab DB where a response is not time critical, and where many recognition procedures can be inventoried in a library of such data.  Determining the properties which can effectively separate the samples into classes, and relating the classes to avoidance procedures, is time consuming, so once those have been established, the CONCLUSIONS are stored in the database rows which will be used in the vehicle.

This means the FCA work is done in long slow time where such predicates can be tolerated, but there are so many ways to do pattern recognition during the classification discovery process that it is impractical to do it in real time.  That is typical for engineering systems, though there are some with the luxury of time to spend.

That is what I plan to do with linguistic samples.  But generalization of linguistic samples to cases that can be handled by various interpretation procedures is needed to organize the data sample database.  But the embedded DB capable of chatting linguistically has to represent how to handle every eventuality, even previously unknown samples into a default class, which is case based.

> RC:] ... why do you believe that a database of such properties and

> classes is different in ontologies versus in the database world?

A database is already in the database world.  8)#

I did not say that databases can not use ontologies.  I meant that

the different fields were based on different ideas.

While databases can certainly be based on ontological principles, they

can also merely use them, or even ignore them.  Databases treat columns

different than cell contents, while in an ontological sense either could

express properties.  An ontology which has higher-arity relations can

treat a single usage of a ternary predicate as an object, while a from a

database perspective, it would often be expressed as a set of cells in a

single row.

Actually, the database world uses the concept of transactions, which are complete threads through the database, not just to one table, but to several interlinked tables, with anywhere from zero to large numbers of rows in some of the tables.  Rows are equivalent to terms, such as f(a,b,c…) where f is a table, a, b and c are columns, and each row of f is one instance of that term.  But a transaction is far more complex.

This is not a criticism of database technology, merely a recognition that

different fields can handle the same situations in different ways.

Which gets back to the point of subjectivity in how the logic of DBs is used to implement systems.

I leave the full discussion below.  It seems not to have been shared with

the ontolog forum.

That is correct.  Most of the readers don’t seem interested in the subjectivity issues, other than perhaps Gary Berg-Cross.  So I doubt if it would stir up other posts anyway.  I’m beginning to think that the topic simply doesn’t work in this group, no matter how important it is.

-Rich

-- doug

> Sincerely,

> Rich Cooper

> EnglishLogicKernel.com

> Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

> 9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

>>> Agree. Here are five methodogical rules from the standard ontology:

>>> 1. Class is determined by a single property;

>> This definition would block many subclasses, unless the property

>> is defined as membership in the class.

>>> 2. Kind is determined by a set of properties;

>> Is this a useful distinction?

>>> 3. Natural Kind is determined by a set of lawfully related properties

>>> (laws);

>>> 4. Natural Genus is the set of things sharing a basic law;

>> I haven't heard this term except in the context of Linneaen taxonomy.

>>> 5. Natural Species is the set of things sharing a particular law.

>> The term has a useful meaning in biology; but what is its use otherwise?

>>> Many classifications are mostly at the level one, like the five

>>> classifications for natural resources, such as land, water, soils,

>>> plants,

>>> animals, solar power, etc, divided by a single property: origin;

>>> renewability, availability, development stage or distribution scope.

>> There are many gradations of wetlands reaching from soggy ground to

>> standing shallow water.  A rigid division between land and water is

>> quite

>> arbitrary.  Fungi used to be classified as plants, but now they are a

>> different kingdom.

>>> A more

>>> scientific understanding of resources is asking for reaching higher

>>> levels.