Re: [ontolog-forum] Bad language - no biscuit.

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontopaedia@xxxxxxxxx
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 10:33:38 +0300
John wrote: "In any case, N-N patterns are among the most difficult
syntactic constructions to interpret for NLP systems, primarily because
they are so idiosyncratic."
Agree.
Compound nouns are too peculiar sometimes, regardless being the ordered
sequences where the anteceding word modifies or describes the consequent
one, thus indicating what kind of thing (object, state, action or relation)
it is.
Seemingly the peculiarity comes from the rule that a compound noun could be
formed in many/any ways:
Noun +Noun;  Verb + Noun; Adjective + Noun; Preposition + Noun; Noun + Verb;
Noun + Preposition;
Adjective + Verb (dry-cleaning); Preposition + Verb (output or input)    (01)

I stopped looking for NLP systems some time ago. Now wonder if any
successful research in the language machines programmed to identify a type
of noun, if it is abstract or concrete, common or collective, countable or
uncountable, simple, complex or compound. Seemingly, there must be something
for the proper names as named entities, due to capital letters. And if any
LM, say, capable to discern collective nouns as naming groups of things,
people, animals, or a group of specific things, like furniture, crockery,
etc.    (02)

Azamat
PS: It was a similar thread on the SW forum, "Naming convention for deeply
structured classes and subclasses", interesting to look:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2009Jul/0140.html.    (03)