Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:59:03 -0400
On 6/2/2011 12:52 AM, Duane Nickull wrote:
> I would always bet money that AI means artificial intelligence whereas
> in another context I might put more weight to a different hypothesis.    (01)

A few years ago, somebody came across a course at a university that had
a strong agricultural department (maybe Texas A & M), where AI meant
Artificial Insemination.  Amazingly, the course description could be
converted to the other AI by a simple edit:    (02)

    Global change of the word 'semen' to 'knowledge'.    (03)

With that change, the course description talked about the problems
of knowledge acquisition and knowledge application.  It was very
appropriate.    (04)

In any case, I recommend the editorial policy of the New York Times:
always spell out every acronym at first mention in any article.    (05)