ontolog-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [ontolog-forum] Quality Hunch for Ontology Metric

To: "'Burkett, William [USA]'" <burkett_william@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 20:54:27 -0700
Message-id: <20110508035433.4F4EB138CEE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the example – it can help illuminate any discussions.  

Suppose I take a set of facts F0.  Then I have two modelers provide two ontologies that explain those facts – call them M0 and M1.  

Then if I take the quality measure I suggested below, and apply it to both ontologies M0 and M1, I can determine whether M0 is more concise than M1, or vice versa.  It is likely that a more concise explanation MI of the exact same facts F0 using less resources than the explanation of MJ of said F0 is a higher quality model than MJ as well.  

My concern is that multiple ontologies of the same fact base be fused properly.  Another concern is equivalence of entities – do the entities in MI designate the same entities in MJ or are the MI entities distinct and indiscernible in MJ?

Given a set Q of such quality measurements over a set of Ontologies M[k] each ontology explaining the same fact base F0, which of those measures correlate with observations “Better(M[i],M[j])” where Better implies more agents in the group agree with the model ontology.  

For those that value high consistency, degrees of consistency could be measured by some of the qualities in a subset measurements. 

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

From: Burkett, William [USA] [mailto:burkett_william@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 8:55 AM
To: Rich Cooper
Subject: RE: [ontolog-forum] Quality Hunch for Ontology Metric

Hey, Rich – thanks for the response.  I only now have had time to read through it.

I’m not sure that my point came across given your response, though maybe it did and I just need to assimilate your response.  My point was (keeping in mind that I’m a data modeler) is that information can be represented (in a data model) either as attribute or structure:

Vehicle(Type=Automobile, Manufacturer=GM, Make=Chevrolet, Model=Camaro)

viz

Vehicle > Automobile > GM > Chevrolet > Camaro

So, more relationships (4 in the second example, none in the first)  doesn’t necessarily mean a low-quality model – nor does it mean a high-quality model.   It may mean either, so I don’t think it’s a useful metric for evaluating the quality of a model (or ontology).

Bill

Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:21 AM
To: Burkett, William [USA]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your thoughts.  For number (2),

A well-designed ontology that just happens to encode/represent more information in structured relationships than in “primitive” concepts. 

I agree that more structure implies more analysis has probably been done, resulting in more succinct information at the kernel of a concept’s definition.  That is good for Q&A interpretation purposes, but I am still uncertain how to measure that in quality terms. 

From a paper on formal concept analysis at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CE8QFjAD&url="">

I find this quote, with my emphasis added:

From a philosophical point of view a concept is a unit of thoughts consisting of two parts, the extension and the intension. The extension covers all objects belonging to this concept and the intension comprises all attributes valid for all those objects (WAGNER 73). Hence objects and attributes play a prominent role together with several relations like e.g. the hierarchical "subconcept-superconcept" relation between concepts, the implication between attributes, and the incidence relation "an object has an attribute".

I had been familiar with the idea that the set of initial cases, through deductive closure, leads to the symbolic _expression_ designating ALL members of the concept.  But the definition quoted above, only enumerates the attributes, and casts objects A, each with a subset of attributes of object B, as a subordinate concept in lattice terms.  

But it seems to me that the lattice above has poor explanatory quality – the arcs leading from the top node down one level are by no means an exhaustive list of predicates, and the FOL equivalents would be

(Or       (IsA     Thing ‘Mammal),

(IsA     Thing ‘Bird)

(Preys Thing)

(Flies  Thing)

)

Which IMHO has very low quality for Q&A purposes since the meaning of that conditional is so unlike any elegant simple node expansion you see in FOL texts.  This example is about formal concept analysis, but the example is a poster instance for poor quality.  

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

From: Burkett, William [USA] [mailto:burkett_william@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:55 AM
To: Rich Cooper

Rich:

FWIW, I think a lot of relationships can be indicative of one of two things:

(1)    As you/_X suggested, a poorly designed/thought out/selected set of concepts that require a lot of relationships to make it make sense;

(2)    A well-designed ontology that just happens to encode/represent more information in structured relationships than in “primitive” concepts. 

Bill

From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rich Cooper
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:45 AM
To: '[ontolog-forum] '
Subject: [ontolog-forum] Quality Hunch for Ontology Metric

Ontologizers All,

I found this quote on a SEMWEB list:

“(_X) tells me that empirical evidence suggests that using a larger number of relationships correlates to poorer ontologies.”

Note that _X reportedly used the descriptive word “relationship”, not the usual suspect “relation”, so the total number of tuples/rows/records in each relation that involves the ontology, summed over all such relations, would seem to capture the intuitive meaning of that phrase.  

Is quality really inversely proportional to the number of relation-rows in sum total?  That would be an expensive, but easily implemented way to measure the “number of relationships” as suggested by _X.  Optimization could then drive the computing cost down to just maintaining a count with each ontology, I suppose.  

Also, do others consider this metric validly described as “empirical evidence”?  I’m sure there are examples having many duplicated relationships which actually correspond to only a single “essential” relationship.  

But what is empirical to one ontologist seems to be the next ontologist’s formal system, and the previous ontologist’s intuitively obvious fact.  We each see an ontology distorted through our subjective, focused lenses.  Same as we used to see just entities, properties, relationships and domains.  

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ 
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J    (01)

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Re: [ontolog-forum] Quality Hunch for Ontology Metric, Rich Cooper <=