Re: [ontolog-forum] Quality Hunch for Ontology Metric

To: "'Burkett, William [USA]'" <burkett_william@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 20:54:27 -0700

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the example – it can help illuminate any discussions.

Suppose I take a set of facts F0.  Then I have two modelers provide two ontologies that explain those facts – call them M0 and M1.

Then if I take the quality measure I suggested below, and apply it to both ontologies M0 and M1, I can determine whether M0 is more concise than M1, or vice versa.  It is likely that a more concise explanation MI of the exact same facts F0 using less resources than the explanation of MJ of said F0 is a higher quality model than MJ as well.

My concern is that multiple ontologies of the same fact base be fused properly.  Another concern is equivalence of entities – do the entities in MI designate the same entities in MJ or are the MI entities distinct and indiscernible in MJ?

Given a set Q of such quality measurements over a set of Ontologies M[k] each ontology explaining the same fact base F0, which of those measures correlate with observations “Better(M[i],M[j])” where Better implies more agents in the group agree with the model ontology.

For those that value high consistency, degrees of consistency could be measured by some of the qualities in a subset measurements.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com