Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminologies and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:59:27 -0400
This is much needed, John, and it is of concern to other communities,
too -- some of which have important overlapping interests and others of
which are simply reinventing past thinking. So let me add a few points:    (01)

1. The Library and Information Science (LIS)/Knowledge Orgnization
community has many common interests with the KR community. Note such
observations as, "The mapping of concepts is an extremely important part
of our work in the network environment." ("Taxonomy and Knowledge
Organization." by Jan Herd, Science, Technology & Business Division, The
Library of Congress. http://www.loc.gov/flicc/cm/taxscript.pdf)    (02)

2. It may be useful, at times, to use the phrase _computer ontology_ to
distinguish it from the study of being. (See Wikipedia.) Or is "formal
ontology" sufficient for that purpose?    (03)

3. Should _taxonomy_ always mean a single-parent hierarchy (as in _facet_)?    (04)

4. At some point, it is also important -- for business in general -- for
this community to make clear distinctions among disciplines that are
perceived as closely related by the "outside" world, including the
definitions you provide in "The Role of Logic and Ontology In Language
and Reasoning." of _syntax_, _semantics_ (and its subdivisions), and
_pragmatics_.    (05)

5. _Concepts_ need to be distinguished not only from _terms_ but also
from _subjects_ and _topics_.    (06)

6. Is _controlled vocabulary_ the broadest/loosest description? Or is it
_lexicon_ (as Doug Skuce observed)? Or simply _vocabulary_?    (07)

      Phil Murray    (08)

--

The Semantic Advantage
Turning Information into Assets