Re: [ontolog-forum] scale / enumeration ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:32:24 -0500
Erick,    (01)

As Peter pointed out, there was work done in the Ontolog Forum and one
of the Ontolog Summits on this topic.  Peter pointed you to the Forum
work, which included two Seminars by the authors of some of the cited
work and pointers to several published ontologies or formal
specifications that could easily be 'ontolgised'.    (02)

The work of the Ontolog Forum in that area has led to a formal standards
activity for constructing such an ontology, and that work is linked to
the BIPM and ISO activities that develop industrial measurement
standards (as a source of domain expertise).  The home page for the
project is:
  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=quomos    (03)

This does nothing for 'enumerations' like 'color', which has many
different standards for different disciplines using the same basic
concept -- paint, LED displays, printing, lighting, etc.  'Standard
enumerations' like country codes and language codes and industrial codes
and economic codes and company-ids and product codes and medical
diagnoses and treatment codes and so on, are the domains of different
specific organizations.  There is a common pattern in OWL for capturing
the code values, and there may even be tools to do the OWL rendering, if
the published table is in some standard form.  But if the enumeration
terms are to be linked to formal definitions, you are suddenly in an
area in which very little work has been done.  You need to have a base
ontology for the domain, in order to be able to write the definitions.    (04)

As to constraining the values, enumerations are usually constrained to
exactly the set of values given in whatever table defines them.
Measurements, OTOH, are ontologically constrained only by physics.  If
you want to place additional constraints on the range of values for
particular usages, you would have to add those to any reference
ontology.  OWLv2 provides some mechanisms for doing this.    (05)

-Ed    (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (07)