Re: [ontolog-forum] technology and productivity with data-mining

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:08:44 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, February 28, 2011 11:29, FERENC KOVACS said:
> Pavitra: rigorous data-driven experimentation and analytics
> FK: depemds on what that data processing content that analytics involves.
> For example in the pharmaceutical industry new molecules are tested by
> first
> finding the possible combinations of materials, which is based on a model
> of
> knowledge of the properties of materials.    (01)

Almost all the new molecules being examined by the pharmaceutical
industry are proteins.  The properties of the 21 amino acids are well
known; the action of the molecules as drugs depends upon their shape
as they coil up upon themselves, and the way that shape changes
based on nearby molecules.    (02)

Watson is not calculating new information, but involved in pattern
matching to match its input to information already in its textual
information base.  It might be useful to help a researcher find
documents relating to issues s/he is investigating, or to provide a
physician with multiple diagnoses which have been documented for
similar cases, but it does not provide "rigorous data-driven
experimentation and analytics".    (03)

> With the computing power of watsno, and lacking the right model to
> represnet
> knowledge in a coherent (integrated fashion) I would be involced in
> calculating
> permutations and play all the lottery numbers every week, if the balace
> would be
> positive in ths states. :-)    (04)

It's always clear what all the lottery numbers are.  The payback is far
less than the cost of playing all of them.    (05)

-- doug foxvog    (06)

> Regards,
> Ferenc
>

> Attention is the weakest, but a minimum form of connecting.
> It is also the minimum price you pay for getting connected.
> Getting connected means exchanging information. "Information is
> transformation"
> (Bela Hamvas)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (08)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.