Re: [ontolog-forum] Prolog in semantic applications [was - Fwd: [ontolog

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:32:39 -0500

I agree  with Jans and John about the usefulness of Prolog and logic programming more generally.  Apologies for the  length of this message.

We developed our own OWL+SWRL+Prolog tool during research in 2004-2007, i.e., translating OWL ontologies, SWRL rules into Prolog, and developing a composite Prolog interpreter/compiler for more efficient runtime reasoning. We had to develop our own back then because there were no such implemented systems. Now, of course there are, including some hybrid systems and SILK.

We bootstrapped from some of the initial theoretical papers on this  intersection, and ended up only providing a subset of OWL, the part we needed. We didn’t develop most of the Boolean anonymous classes and the cardinality restrictions (we wanted to use specific restricted quantifiers). We also did a bit of useful trickery --  i.e., for some of the SWRL-introduced existential quantifiers (for which we generally used  Skolem constants) and which are or can be integrity constraints or just a kind of unknown but certain query response (John has some-father-f12 , but you don’t know who) – by actually asserting in  the knowledge base an individual (say, father-f12) on which we could  drape additional  properties.  We also used multiple forms of negation: the usual negation by finite failure of Prolog (also used by the  database community generally), but also a kind of constructive logical negation. The tension was between the Open World Assumption of OWL and the Closed World Assumption of Prolog.

We also used various knowledge compilation techniques (e.g., extensionalizing, etc.) to make the efficient runtime Prolog system more efficient. But the latter techniques are used in many Prologs and especially deductive database systems. Probably the best latter such that we’ve found is the HighFleet (formerly Ontology Works) system, but we know that Cyc’s reasoning also includes many such techniques, for a couple  of examples. Knowledge compilation is a vastly underserved topic of research in recent years, in my estimation.

We also did a very quick (2-3 part-time months) comparison, a year or two  after we developed our system, between Prolog and Answer Set Programming (ASP), two alternative logic programming paradigms. We found ASP to offer some real advantages.

In addition, we later did some work using the Prover9 theorem-prover to generate possible compositions of web services.

Here are some useful references, largely pulled from our papers (but just a subset, there are many more on Description Logic Programming (DLP) and ASP):

Samuel, Ken; Leo Obrst; Suzette Stoutenberg;  Karen Fox; Paul Franklin; Adrian Johnson; Ken Laskey; Deborah Nichols; Steve Lopez; and Jason Peterson. 2008. Applying Prolog to Semantic Web Ontologies & Rules: Moving Toward Description Logic Programs. The Journal of the Theory and Practice of Logic Programming (TPLP), Massimo Marchiori, ed., Cambridge University Press, Volume 8,  Issue 03, May 2008, pp 301-322. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract;jsessionid=564053DB808528C03B8238D8FBAE704C.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=1853440http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1853440.

Ken Samuel; Leo Obrst. 2007. Answer Set Programming: Final Report on a Comparison Between ASP and Prolog for Semantic Web Ontology and Rule Reasoning. October, 2007. MITRE Technical Report MTR090069. [Available on request]

References

Baral Chitta Knowledge Representation, Reasoning, and Declarative Problem Solving [Book]. - Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2003. - p. 544. - ISBN: 0521818028.

Cadoli, M. and Donini, F. M. 1997. A survey on knowledge compilation. AI

Communications—The European Journal for Artificial Intelligence, 10:137–50.

Darwiche, A. and Marquis, P. 2002. A knowledge compilation map. Journal of

Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR), 17:229–64. [Online at http://www.cs.ucla.edu/

darwiche/d116.pdf, accessed 12 Sep 2007].

Eiter, T., Lukasiewicz, T., Schindlauer, R. and Tompits, Hans 2004. Combining answer

set programming with description logics for the semantic Web. Proc. of the 9th International

Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR’04).

Grosof, B. N., Horrocks, I., Volz, R. and Decker, S. 2003. Description logic programs:

Combining logic programs with description logic. Proc. of the Twelfth International World

Wide Web Conference (WWW 2003). Budapest, Hungary: ACM, May 20–23, 2003,

pp. 48–57.

Heymans, S. and Vermeir, D. 2003. Integrating description logics and answer set

programming. Principles and Practice of Semantic Web Reasoning (PPSWR-03), Lecture

Notes in Computer Science 2901. Mumbai, India: Springer Verlag, pp. 146–59.

Horrocks, I., Patel-Schneider, P. F., Boley, H., Tabet, S., Grosof, B. and Dean, M.

2004. SWRL: A semantic web rule language combining OWL and ruleML”. http://

www.daml.org/rules/proposal/ [Accessed 12 Sep 2007].

Kautz, H. and Selman, B. 1994. An empirical evaluation of knowledge compilation. In

Proc. of the 12th National Conference of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence.

Seattle, WA, July 1994, MIT Press, pp. 155–61.

Kautz, H. A. and Selman, B. 1991. A general framework for knowledge compilation. In Proc.

of the International Workshop on Processing Declarative Knowledge (PDK-91). Richter,

H. and Richter, M. (eds), Lecture Notes In Artificial Intelligence 567. Springer Verlag,

pp. 287–300. [Online at www.cs.rochester.edu/u/www/u/kautz/papers/kc-gen.ps, accessed

12 Sep 2007].

Maedche, A. and Volz, R. 2003. Optimizing query answering in description logics using

disjunctive deductive databases. 10th International Workshop on Knowledge Representation

meets Databases (KRDB-2003), Hamburg, Germany, Sept 15–16, 2003.

Minker, J. and Seipel, D. 2002. Disjunctive logic programming: A survey and assessment.

Computational Logic: Logic Programming and Beyond, pp. 472–511.

Peterson, B.; W.A. Andersen; and J. Engel. Knowledge Bus: Generating Application Focused Databases from Large Ontologies".

In Proceedings of the 5th Workshop KRDB98, Seattle, WA, USA, May 1998. http://www.cs.umbc.edu/771/papers/krdb98-kbus.pdf.

Selman, B. and Kautz, H. A. 1991. Knowledge compilation using horn approximations. Proc.

of the Ninth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI91), pp. 904–9, [Online at

www.cs.rochester.edu/u/www/u/kautz/papers/kc-horn.ps, accessed 12 Sep 2007].

Selman, B. and Kautz, H. 1996. Knowledge compilation and theory approximation. Journal

of the ACM 43(2):193–224, March, 1996.

Volz R. 2004. Web Ontology Reasoning with Logic Databases. PhD thesis, AIFB, University

of Karlsruhe.

Volz, R., Decker, S. and Oberle, D. 2003. Bubo-Implementing OWL in rule-based systems.

http://www.daml.org/listarchive/joint-committee/att-1254/01-bubo.pdf [Accessed 12 Sep

2007].

Dr. Leo Obrst        The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics

lobrst@xxxxxxxxx     Information Discovery & Understanding, Command & Control Center

Voice: 703-983-6770  7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305

Fax: 703-983-1379    McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA