Re: [ontolog-forum] Interesting observation about OWL ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:48:27 -0500
In addition even if it was ?x ?p ?y it wouldn't return the appropriate
list of relations as within OWL ontologies the properties are mostly
used in restrictions (i.e. to make quantified propositions).    (01)

For those the query would need to be something like    (02)

prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>
select count distinct ?p where
 { ?restriction owl:onProperty ?p }    (03)

When I run this on the neurocommons instance, which has a different
set of ontologies than bioportal, I get  1070 properties.
(http://tinyurl.com/6cjvq2x)
It wasn't clear how to do an equivalent query against BioPortal.    (04)

That's not to say all is well - an examination of those properties
will show many overlaps - same property intended, different URL. And
there are many ontologies that in fact do not use anything but
subClassOf. And many more where the relations and terms are given no
definition or documentation. There are lots of problems and I agree
with some of John's conclusions about the use of OWL, although don't
place the fault with OWL - rather it is a lack of training, tools, and
organization that in many cases leads to these situations.    (05)

But the stated basis for John's comment is not sustained.    (06)

-Alan    (07)