Re: [ontolog-forum] I ontologise, you ontologise, we all mess up...

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:49:20 -0000
Hi Bill,    (01)

Within computer science (AI), the term 'ontology' is used for the
specification rather than what is specified.
Tom Gruber says " In the context of knowledge sharing, I use the term
ontology to mean a specification of a conceptualization. That is, an
ontology is a description (like a formal specification of a program) of the
concepts and relationships that can exist for an agent or a community of
agents. This definition is consistent with the usage of ontology as
set-of-concept-definitions, but more general. And it is certainly a
different sense of the word than its use in philosophy. "    (02)

Within philosophy, ontology is what is specified - e.g. an ontology is "the
set of things whose existence is acknowledged by a particular theory or
system of thought." (E. J. Lowe, The Oxford Companion to Philosophy)    (03)

I find amusing that the Gruber CS-AI sense seems to go out of its way not to
talk about the things that the philosophy sense does.    (04)

I also find that there is sometimes some equivocation on the two senses when
discussing interoperability.
An ontology in the philosophical sense can be used to identify the mapping
between data structures - the data refers to the same object.
Sometimes people seem to be assuming that ontologies in the CS-AI sense work
in the same way - whereas there is no guarantee that two
'conceptualisations' of the world will pick out the same things.
Barry has a nice article on the use of concepts in ISO that highlights some
of the issues http://ontology.buffalo.edu/medo/Wuesteria.pdf .    (05)

Chris    (06)

CLIF