Re: [ontolog-forum] I ontologise, you ontologise, we all mess up...

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 17:31:11 -0600
Coming to this thread rather late, but....    (01)

On Jan 12, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Burkett, William [USA] wrote:    (02)

> ChrisP, David --
>
> Thanks - I think you're both on the right track here wrt where I was coming
>from.  I was thinking about the content of my message last night after I went
>to bed (sad, that.  :-)) and realized that it wouldn't be unusual to say that
>I have two data models (written in different languages (or even the same
>language)) about the same Universe of Discourse (to use the TR9007 term).  So
>saying that I have two ontologies about the same coffee-making UoD shouldn't
>be unusual and I'd like to retract my original comment about "ontology" vs
>"representation of ontology".  What was behind my observation is what you
>pointed both pointed out: I was using "ontology" in a more philosophical sense
>and that this sense did, in fact, constitute requirements for the design of an
>ontology.
>
> And you're right, ChrisP: an ontology in the philosophical sense....    (03)

Question: what exactly is AN ontology in the philosophical sense? In that
sense, I have only seen the term used in the singular, to refer to a branch of
philosophy. I'm not sure how, if there were ontologIES in the philosophical
sense, how one would individuate or count them...    (04)

> would be an excellent mechanism for determining the mapping between data
>structures representing information about the same UoD.    (05)

... still less USE them in any mechanical sense.     (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)