Re: [ontolog-forum] Model Semantics, Representation Syntax, and Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:07:42 -0000

Hi Pavithra,

Just a few clarifications:

1)      System Architect is not a UML tool – it can do a reasonable job of representing UML, but I think IBM would point you to their Rational UML toolset or Rhapsody for UML work.

2)      Connecting to a relational database has nothing whatsoever to do with managing versions of models. There are repositories that use RDBS and others that don’t. Whether or not version management is supported is a question of what repository meta-model is being used. There are quite a few systems that simply manage the configuration of individual files.

As for “showing the changes”, I’m not sure what you mean. Some repositories (RDBMS or otherwise) configuration manage at an element level whilst others manage at a document level. The former type is quite rare still, but there are a few of them about. The latter is much more common.

I’m afraid the comment about virtual reality and 2nd life using UML went straight over my head. Can you explain a bit more ?

Ian