Re: [ontolog-forum] Model Semantics, Representation Syntax, and Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "architecture-ecosystem@xxxxxxx" <architecture-ecosystem@xxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:29:58 -0500
Andre,    (01)

I agree with your points, but I'd like to add some qualifications:    (02)

> ... system modeling, with infinitely variable viewpoints,
> 3D, 2D plane mapping, animation, color, sound, and hypergrid...
> but unfortunately, UML, BPMN, SysML, and other OMG languages
> and notations are not well adapted.    (03)

Yes, but this gets back to my point about methodologies.  There is
no reason why diagrams such as UML can't be used in such dynamic,
"infinitely variable viewpoints."  It's the methodologies that
create the "silos" that limit their flexibility.  We need to have
methodologies, but we need to relate them all to one another.    (04)

> UML improvement and fixing should be the focus of another SIG,
> as although they may be required and very good things, they are
> clearly not leading to an integrated architecture ecosystem,
> anytime in a foreseeable future.    (05)

Of course not.  They are notations, which can be used in many
different ways.  The methodologies determine how they are used.
For people with silo mentalities and methodologies, the whole
world is a silo, no matter what notations they use.    (06)

> UML, BPMN, SysML and other OMG languages and notations can bring
> a lot to an effective architecture ecosystem, but not their
> silo infrastructure design.    (07)

Agreed.  The silo infrastructure is not a methodology, but it was
designed with a silo mentality to support one specific methodology.    (08)

When people see Common Logic, they can't see any silos of any kind.
Therefore, they think it is irrelevant to their silo.    (09)

But the point I keep emphasizing is that if you want to support
*everything* you have to get outside the silos to find a foundation
that can relate and integrate everything.    (010)

People with silo mentalities keep asking for "a software stack"
and my answer is that Common Logic supports every software stack
that has ever been implemented.  It provides the foundation for
*all* of them.    (011)