[ontolog-forum] Need suggestions developing cardiac disease/phenotype on

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pradeep Kumar S <pradeeps@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:38:38 +0900 (KST)

Dear all,

I hope this is the right place to request for some help I need developing a cardiac disease/phenotype ontology.

I have been curating list of phenotype/disease terms from biomedical literatures for past 1year.
Now the collection has grown to about  ~1200 terms. I have the following attributes curated along with the terms:
1. Term name
2. Source ( web, reference of book or paper)
3. Some times definition and the context in which it was curated.

I request experts here to suggest me how to proceed further from list of terms to making a good ontology?

Specifically I need to know:

1.     how many relationships should I consider initially. Putting terms under hierarchy like a taxonomy will be the easiest. But how to incorporate other plausible relationships. When (how many) would it get very complex?

2.     Basically I want to render a ontology that could be used by data mining tools and serve biological community in their data analysis.

Any suggestions from experts here will be highly appreciated.  Also please point me to any websites/literature/books that would be of help.

Thanking you,

--Pradeep