Re: [ontolog-forum] Oooh, FOL is too hard to learn.

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:29:59 +0100
ChrisM,    (01)

I suspect there is some truth is what you say - engineers (average or
otherwise) do not take to FOL, as least in its current incarnations.    (02)

But what is odd is that there are quite a few programming languages that are
'quite difficult' and require some time to learn properly (as there are
engineering problems that are difficult). As difficult as FOL? I certainly
find them more difficult, less intuitive - my guess is you might well too.
But that could be just to do with how we have been educated.    (03)

I suspect, like Ian, that at least one contributing factor is that most the
commercial programming languages have had quite a lot of effort devoted to
making them easy to use to produce code. Whereas the effort in (notation
for) logic has not been in the same direction. I guess one could take your
comments to imply that no amount of effort will make CL/FOL sufficiently
easy to use. I wonder whether you are being too pessimistic - I also wonder
what arguments one could marshal for this position.     (04)

Of course, the problem is that if it is not easy to use people are much less
likely to use it - unless they are given an overwhelming case for doing so.    (05)

ChrisP    (06)