Re: [ontolog-forum] Interpreting OWL

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:55:08 +0100

Hi Sean,

I would be tempted to leave OWL out of the equation altogether for EXPRESS, and use RDF/RDFS. The most used OWL representation is the RDF one, so I think this makes sense for EXPRESS too.

I think you could do a pretty good job of modelling the EXPRESS meta-model in RDF(S). It would avoid a lot of the baggage that comes with OWL (I can hear the DL nuts lighting their torches as I type) and would be using a similar approach to the RDF form of OWL. This would then make the comparison you mention a bit more straightforward.

There are a few oddball aspects in EXPRESS such as SELECTs and SUPERTYPE OF clauses that, although they’ll map, won’t turn out quite as the STEP community would expect them to.

All you need to do then is persuade the OMG to do the same thing – though there is the added complication of UML being wedded to MOF. An RDFS representation of MOF might even give us a replacement for XMI that actually works, and that can’t be a bad thing.

Cheers

--

Ian