Re: [ontolog-forum] HOL decidability [Was: using SKOS forcontrolled valu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:19:43 -0700
On Wednesday October 13 2010, Rich Cooper wrote:
> Hi Bill,

> The whole point is that there is no function that will iterate the
> primes directly.  The code you wrote will EVENTUALLY iterate primes
> as a BYPRODUCT of iterating integers and testing them, but that code
> doesn't produce each prime directly, once per iteration, without
> iterating other types.    (01)

Then there is no iterator that directly iterates anything. It's all
by-products of something else down to the level of electrons and holes
cascading through the semiconductor material from which transistors are
fabricated. And while the electrons are (putatively) primitive,
semiconductor materials are aggregates and the phenomenon of
semiconductivity is a bulk property, so there are deeper levels even
than that.    (02)

> The method you are using is often called Eratosthenes' Sieve, which
> is a well known method to calculate primes, but NOT to iterate them.
>   The difference is in what is being enumerated inside the code.    (03)

I gotta' say, this sounds like an entirely specious distinction to me.
But what do I know? I've only been writing computer code for 34 years.    (04)

> -Rich    (05)

Randall Schulz    (06)