Re: [ontolog-forum] commercial products

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 19:14:47 -0400
On 10/2/2010 3:43 PM, terry.longstreth wrote:
> If we can't do a peer review without paying a fee, I for one won't have
> have anything to do with it.    (01)

I'll do a peer review:    (02)

I tried typing two words into the Visual Thesaurus, but it cut me off
at the third because I had exceeded the limit of their free trial.    (03)

The results it produced were mildly interesting, but I found more
useful information from the FCA system, which generates a sublattice
from Roget's Thesaurus for each word typed in.  It also displays
the lattice in a diagram that has more detail and a better visual
organization.    (04)

If anybody would like to repeat my evaluation, first type the word
'happy' to the FCA system:    (05)

    http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html    (06)

This system lets you type as many words as you like.  You might
try a few words to find the two you like best.  For comparison,
you can compare those two words to your free trial offer from
the commercial one, if you saved the link.  If not, no big deal.    (07)

For a bit more information about FCA with further links, I'll
shamelessly promote my own web site (on which you can download
anything for free).  See slides 70 to 72 of the following talk:    (08)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/iss.pdf    (09)