Re: [ontolog-forum] Language vs Logic

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 22:51:05 -0400
Rich,    (01)

I was about to say that is unbelievable.  But unfortunately, knowing
typical computer systems, I find it all too believable:    (02)

> In another case, a 911 emergency response system, the desk time required
> to enter a new caller (one who has never phoned that 911 service before)
> is nearly twenty minutes!  There is no way that the users can be forced
> to carefully think through every field of data so that they put off
> responding to heart attacks with twenty minute delays to fill out
> database forms.  The person at the other end of the phone is often
> emotionally stressed, and not willing to work with the form filling
> operators.    (03)

In logic, you can say "For all X, there exists a Y, such that P(X,Y)"
But when your DB has many such constraints, you want to allow many
or even most of the implicit Y's to be left unspecified.    (04)

What do you do if the caller is a 3-year-old child, whose mother
explained how to call 911 if she had an epileptic fit?    (05)