Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture - Interoperability?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 09:16:46 -0400
On 9/8/2010 8:29 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> I agree with most of your comments above, but we need to be a little
> clearer about Linked Data (HTTP URI based hyperdata graphs) and Linked
> Open Data (LOD) which is an application of the Web of Linked Data
> publishing practices espoused in TimBL's meme [1].    (01)

I'm glad that we mutually mostly agree.    (02)

> LOD was bootstrapped through DBpedia [3]. This particular project
> deliberately demoted RDF/XML to a negotiated data serialization format
> while producing data sets culled from Wikipedia extraction and
> transformation using N-Triples and N3/Turtle as preferred markup. Most
> important of all, even before RDFa was incorporated in DBpedia, it
> introducted the notion of HTML based entity descriptors, enabling easier
> human readability and exploration of hyperdata graphs via Web Browsers.    (03)

That is an excellent short summary that illustrates the basic issues.
I would just add three points:    (04)

  1. DBpedia is a community effort, and I'm all in favor of community
     efforts.    (05)

  2. But I also believe that NLP technology has reached a point where
     automated and semi-automated methods can supplement, extend, and
     facilitate the development of such resources.    (06)

  3. The automated tools will still require human guidance, review,
     and oversight, but they can be faster, more consistent, and
     more thorough than traditional methods.    (07)

> Yes! There is really absolutely nothing new about RDF or Linked Data.
> Hopefully, people will soon come to understand this :-)
>
> Links:
>
> 1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html - TimBL's how to
> publish Linked Data meme
> 2. http://esw.w3.org/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData