Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture - Interoperability?

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:24:23 -0400
On 9/7/2010 2:16 PM, Pavithra wrote:
> I believe my reference to the word new for Semantic Interoperability
> is for web based architecture.    (01)

But the point I was trying to make is that there is nothing new
about the web.    (02)

  1. The idea of combining hypertext with SGML and the Internet
     addressing scheme was an important innovation in 1991.    (03)

  2. The idea of including more semantic markup in documents was
     also a good idea, but the NLP community was using SGML to
     annotate documents in the 1980s.    (04)

  3. The idea that all the links in documents form a big graph
     goes back to the semantic networks from the 1960s.    (05)

  4. RDF was based on Guha's MCF (MetaContent Facility), which
     he designed after the left Cyc.  I don't know the full
     story of his disagreements with Lenat, but I gather that
     Guha was hoping to develop a notation that was simpler
     than CycL.    (06)

  5. Tim Bray, an XML guru, teamed up with Guha to define RDF
     as a combination of MCF and XML.  But Tim later admitted
     that the RDF design was "broken".    (07)

  6. Description logics go back to KL-ONE from 1979 and related
     systems from the 1980s, but the idea of forcing DLs into the
     RDF straitjacket made many of the DL advocates very unhappy.    (08)

  8. People who write RDF don't use the bloated RDF notation.
     Instead, they use notations that are closer to LISP
     from 1959.    (09)

I'll admit that the SemWeb is big, but that's the result of
using the Internet and the WWW.  The bloated notations of RDF
and OWL are a handicap, and anybody who wants to process the
big stuff has to extract the data from those notations in
order to get any kind of performance.    (010)

In short, there's very little that is new.  And the major
innovation -- RDF -- was a disaster.  LOD uses RDFa, whose
only similarity to RDF is in the three letters R-D-F.    (011)