Re: [ontolog-forum] Triangles and Meanings

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:56:25 -0400
Rick,    (01)

I'm not sure it's possible to sort out all the confusions and
skew-a-logues that have arisen in on this "triangular" tangent
to the "triadic sign-relational semiotics" line of approach to
Sean's "looking for a razor" thread, so I'll just indicate one
of the bigger issues that I think deserves some careful thought.    (02)

I think we need to be mindful of the distinction between normative
sciences and descriptive sciences, the object examples for the current
discussion being the normative science of logic and the descriptive of
psychology.    (03)

Aristotle and Peirce -- I'm less sure of Locke -- are very clear
about the difference between logic and psychology, and they both
treat the theory of signs as being primarily the business of logic,
if not indeed the whole of it, though of course there is plenty of
room for a descriptive semiotics that might overlap with psychology.    (04)

Anyway, I think a lot of confusion can be avoided if
we keep this distinction and associated facts in mind.    (05)

Jon Awbrey    (06)

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
knol: http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/3fkwvf69kridz/1