Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:58:14 -0400
  On 9/3/10 8:47 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Kingsley,
>    (01)

John,    (02)

> I love graphs.    (03)

I know :-)    (04)

> I've been preaching the advantages of graph
> representations for years.    (05)

Yes, and I've listened avidly, for sure.    (06)

>   And SQL has never been my favorite
> query language.  I also love open data, open source software,
> and open access to anything and everything that can and should
> be made open.  And I wish you well in the development and sales
> of your products.    (07)

Thanks!    (08)

> I just wanted to point out that RDF and SPARQL should not be
> equated with or considered prerequisites for LOD.
>    (09)

I agree, but I would maybe present the position as following:    (010)

LOD is an application of Linked Data principles espoused in TimBL's meme.    (011)

Linked Data isn't inextricably linked to RDF and its family of data
representation formats. RDF is simply one of many routes to HTTP based
hypermedia graphs. I actually expressed this position repeatedly, and
even went as far as posting a Data 3.0 manifesto via my blog [1].    (012)

>> Let's assume you mean publicly available open data published using the
>> principles in TimBL's famous meme, in this case, handling this data at
>> Web Scale is the major challenge at hand.
> Tim's a good guy, and he did some outstanding work back in 1991, and
> he made some good proposals for extending it later.  Unfortunately,
> the Semantic Web has turned out to be primarily a *syntactic* web,
> and with one of the worst-designed syntaxes ever inflicted on poor
> innocent students and programmers.    (013)

Yes, but not 100% percent TimBL's fault (I would say). At lot of it
stems from people following (instinctively) rather that looking closer
at his meme's (especially re. Linked Data and the Semantic Web Project
in general). Most of the time you have terminology overloading and
propagation by a generation of people that truly believe distributed
computing started after the emergence of the World Wide Web :-(    (014)

> We have to support that syntax as legacy systems, but we have to look
> at where we should be going in the future.  XML-based notations are
> great for marking up documents, but not as general language formats.    (015)

I agree 100%.    (016)

>> ... we compete against these folks [Oracle et al.] at the DBMS engine
>> level. Of course we also complement them at the virtual/federated
>> database level. These optimizations are best tasked when you attempt to
>> use SPARQL against large RDF data sets stored in these databases. As for
>> SPARQL-BI, they offer nothing (i.e., can venture into TPC-H land against
>> RDF stored in these engines).
> That's great.  But you're doing what I suggested -- support the
> semantics, independently of whatever data organization or notation
> happens to be used.    (017)

Yes!    (018)

>>> As for MySQL, I used that as an example of a tool that has a lot
>   >
>> That's a typical LAMP crowd gut reaction, or should I say "wishful
>> thinking". MySQL doesn't cut it, really.
> I was simply pointing out some good applications that use RDB.
>
> I make very heavy use of graph representations.  But there are also
> many reasons for using tables when tables are appropriate.  The logic
> is independent of the data structures.    (019)

Yes, and as you can tell, we do the very same thing.    (020)

> I'll repeat my previous principle:
>
>      Always question strategy, no matter who states them.    (021)

Again 100%, and if you look at my general commentary zeitgeist re.
Linked Data, RDF, and the Semantic Web Project in general, that's what
I've always done. You know too well that education is about teaching us
not to simply follow without understanding, and this can only happen
when we aren't afraid to be the sole heretic questioning memes, visions,
or executable strategies.    (022)

Again, violent agreement.    (023)

> Sometimes the strategies are good, and sometimes the strategies are bad.
> But there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution to all kinds
> of problems and applications.    (024)

Amen!    (025)

Kingsley
> John