Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:47:51 -0400
Kingsley,    (01)

I love graphs.  I've been preaching the advantages of graph
representations for years.  And SQL has never been my favorite
query language.  I also love open data, open source software,
and open access to anything and everything that can and should
be made open.  And I wish you well in the development and sales
of your products.    (02)

I just wanted to point out that RDF and SPARQL should not be
equated with or considered prerequisites for LOD.    (03)

> Let's assume you mean publicly available open data published using the
> principles in TimBL's famous meme, in this case, handling this data at
> Web Scale is the major challenge at hand.    (04)

Tim's a good guy, and he did some outstanding work back in 1991, and
he made some good proposals for extending it later.  Unfortunately,
the Semantic Web has turned out to be primarily a *syntactic* web,
and with one of the worst-designed syntaxes ever inflicted on poor
innocent students and programmers.    (05)

We have to support that syntax as legacy systems, but we have to look
at where we should be going in the future.  XML-based notations are
great for marking up documents, but not as general language formats.    (06)

> ... we compete against these folks [Oracle et al.] at the DBMS engine
> level. Of course we also complement them at the virtual/federated
> database level. These optimizations are best tasked when you attempt to
> use SPARQL against large RDF data sets stored in these databases. As for
> SPARQL-BI, they offer nothing (i.e., can venture into TPC-H land against
> RDF stored in these engines).    (07)

That's great.  But you're doing what I suggested -- support the
semantics, independently of whatever data organization or notation
happens to be used.    (08)

>> As for MySQL, I used that as an example of a tool that has a lot
>>> of potential for many LOD applications.
 >
> That's a typical LAMP crowd gut reaction, or should I say "wishful
> thinking". MySQL doesn't cut it, really.    (09)

I was simply pointing out some good applications that use RDB.    (010)

I make very heavy use of graph representations.  But there are also
many reasons for using tables when tables are appropriate.  The logic
is independent of the data structures.    (011)

I'll repeat my previous principle:    (012)

    Always question strategy, no matter who states them.    (013)

Sometimes the strategies are good, and sometimes the strategies are bad.
But there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution to all kinds
of problems and applications.    (014)