Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Niemann.Brand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:20:22 -0400
Rick, Thanks. Brand
    (01)

P.S. My son said he saw you recently at a GSA SOA Meeting.
    (02)

  From:       Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                     (03)

  To:         ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                        (04)

  Date:       09/01/2010 08:36 PM                                                   (05)

  Subject:    Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture                  (06)

Hey Brand:
    (07)

I understand the video's not ready yet, but should show up here [1] when
    (08)

ready.
    (09)

BTW - for those interested in the LOD existential question, I wanted to
suggest the strictest interpretation should follow from the four steps
or rules in the following page of design issues. [2]
    (010)

Note that step three prescribes the use of standards, then identifies
two standards (RDF*, SPARQL). Not sure how to interpret the rather loose
    (011)

syntax of the page.
    (012)

1 http://logd.tw.rpi.edu/home
2 http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
    (013)

--
Rick
    (014)

On 9/1/2010 8:25 AM, Niemann.Brand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> With regard to say linking chemical element definitions to TRI data, I

> did my own Data.gov Mashathon doing that at

> http://epadata.wik.is/TRI_2009

> Brand

> P.S. Rick, I look forward to see the video since I did not see or hear

> much about the Data.gov mashathon. Is there a Web site for it?

> Best regards, Brand

>    From:       Rick Murphy<rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>    To:         "[ontolog-forum]"<ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>    Date:       08/31/2010 10:17 PM

>    Subject:    Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

> Ravi&  All:

> You had asked for some thoughts on Linked Open Data. First, thanks for

> asking. Second, if Peter Patel-Schneider's story of the Semantic Web

is
> a Cautionary Tale,

> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-661464686397234947#

> then LOD may well be the Fairy Story. Joking aside, if you have a

meme,
> it will spread. Apparently this one is. There's a lot more to be said,

> but here's a message I recently sent to another forum.

> --

> David&  All:

> It seems there's a conversation trying to start itself on what LOD

> actually is. Ouch ...

> While taking the risk of suggesting something more than that on which

> we've already gained agreement (an lod design principle), I wanted to

> share a few observations relevant to future directions for LOD.

> 1. I had about 60 days to examine LOD full time in 2009 early in the

> development of recovery.gov at which time I differentiated the roles

> publisher and linker. Differentiating these roles proved useful in

> better analyzing LOD outcomes. For example, assuming decentralize

> publishing by ARRA recipients at least a "minimal intervention" would

be

> required to effect a predetermined outcome by linkers. How else would,

> let's say 50 states, make sufficiently consistent choices separately

> that would be later linked? I think this needs to be further examined.

> As an aside, there may be a video available soon from the recent

datagov

> mashathon where I demonstrate the Data Typing by Usage pattern from

> Working Ontologist to "link" a recipient ontology and an xbrl ontology

> of an SEC filer through subproperty subsumption. The inference that a

> certain SEC Filer is an ARRA Recipient was the salient point.

> 2. My second observation from the recovery.gov work is the need to

> develop an approach to "edge specifications." An edge specification is

> an assembly from preexisting vocabularies and possibly new elements

into

> a whole. The idea is to identify a specification development approach

> for LOD that's different from a "core specification" where already

known

> terms are redefined. At the edge they are reused.

> There's a brief mention in footnote 10 here ...

> http://www.talis.com/nodalities/pdf/nodalities_issue9.pdf

> FWIW - For those who haven't seen it, here's the original use case

from
> for Open Government: Linked Open Data, published just a few days after

> the US election on December 2, 2008 .

> http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Use_Case_8_-_Linked_Open_Government

> BTW - has anyone tried to "link" DbPedia to, let's say, Metaweb on

> Chemical element?

> --

> Rick

> On Sun, 2010-08-22 at 10:09 -0400, ravi sharma wrote:

>> Rick

>> As you might recall I was tuned in to that wonderful effort closely

>> and yes George is contributing to Health Services Architectures.

>> Can you kindly give us a view of how you see that effort tied to

>>        * Linked Open Data

>>        * Semantic Web

>>        * Ontology - integration,

>> at least in Government / Federal EA space.

>> Also on the thread dealing with DODAF - DM2 and Ontic Foundation of

>> DODAF 2.0 still are not semantically or through ontology integrated;

>> and their roadmap is not clear?

>> Thanks.

>> Ravi

>> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Rick Murphy<rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> wrote:

>>          Ian:

>>          Readers of the TQ paper will notice references to GSA, the

>>          sponsoring agency. Between 2004 and 2009 our team had the

>>          opportunity to examine the relevance of semantics to

>>          enterprise architecture at a reasonable level of financial

and
>>          management support. With a change in leadership that support

>>          was lost.

>>          Thankfully, we placed some of our work in an open source

>>          repository so others could take advantage of the tax dollars

>>          that funded this effort.

>>          http://osera.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/osera/

>>          Unfortunately, what's available in the repository represents

>>          only part of our team's work. Our most promising work

extended
>>          well beyond model driven architecture and the semantic web,

>>          though we did a LOT of that. The Information Flow Framework,

>>          Category Theory and Goguen and Burstall's Institutions

became
>>          part of the core team's understanding.

>>          As I reflect on those five amazing years and what has

followed
>>          since, I am resolved to follow the truth instead of a trend

>>          and thankful that the government has a leader in George

>>          Thomas.

>>          --

>>          Rick

>>          On 8/22/2010 4:18 AM, Ian Bailey wrote:

>>          >

>>          >  Hi,

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >  The defence departments of Australia, Canada, Sweden, UK

and
>>          >  US have been working on a formal ontology to support

their
>>          >  enterprise architecture efforts – www.ideasgroup.org

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >  All we’ve released so far is the foundation -

>>          >  http://www.ideasgroup.org/foundation/ - but quite a bit

more
>>          >  has been done on building patterns for processes, agents,

>>          >  information, systems, capabilities, etc. The foundation

has
>>          >  been used to underpin the DoDAF 2.0 meta-model (DM2) –

>>          >  though the resulting meta-model isn’t what most people

would
>>          >  recognise as an ontology. The Swedish Armed Forces are

>>          >  investigating how the MODAF Meta-Model (currently a UML

>>          >  Profile) could be re-engineered into a formal ontology

based
>>          >  on IDEAS.

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >  John Zachman was over in the UK in March for the

>>          >  Integrated-EA conference and had some discussions with UK

>>          >  MOD on ontology and enterprise architecture. From the

brief
>>          >  conversations I had with him, he seemed very enthusiastic

>>          >  about ontology in general.

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >  At the same conference, Jonathan Carter and Jason Powell

>>          >  presented on an open-source approach to EA development

using
>>          >  Protege – see http://www.integrated-ea.com/Previous-Years

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >  Back in 2007, I presented on ontology and EA at the Open

>>          >  Group and EA Europe conferences – slides are here:

>>          >  http://www.modelfutures.com/Publications/

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >  That, and the paper from Top Quadrant (which has already

>>          >  been mentioned in this thread) are the only efforts I’m

>>          >  aware of for “semantic EA”.

>>          >

>>          >

>>          >