Re: [ontolog-forum] Triadic Sign Relations

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:08:32 -0700

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your inputs.  When I studied lattices, the “T” and upside down “T” weren’t used, though the supremum(?) and the infimum(?) names were mentioned for curiosity purposes, but were seldom actually used.  They do make nice starting points for algorithms that bracket parts of the lattice which meet other constraints.  The GLB and the LUB bracket the derivation of any point in a lattice (same terminology) was common notation in my professors’ terminology, but the topmost and bottom most nodes weren’t called T and upside down T.  I don’t particularly remember what they were called in school, but the names weren’t particularly significant for the algorithms that use a lattice for representing things.

Perhaps the difference is in engineering versus math studies; mathematicians often use single letter names and use the same letters for many completely different things.  In engineering, there is more of a structured vocabulary referring to the properties of the thing being elaborated.

I prefer GUT (greatest upper terminal) and LLT (least lower terminal).  Then you can claim that all classes in the lattice have been extruded from the GUT (headed down the lattice) and LLT (headed up the lattice).

Remember that the lattice, and all its teachings and similes, is merely a tool for us to reason about things that have the lattice.

But in developing software implementations of these ontological representations, its important to have names that are unambiguous inside the software, and “T” is too easy to mix up with other things, while upside down “T” is not even a consideration.

Thanks for your insights,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper