Re: [ontolog-forum] Average Daily Word Exposure

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:22:07 -0400
John,

Thank you kindly for that pointer. I should keep in mind in the future that there will likely exist some listserve almost dedicated to any question I might have :P.

In case anyone is interested,

Here is a collation responses. I should note that the experiment I was bandying about is actually being carried out under the moniker "Human Speechome Project" - albeit geared towards babies:
http://www.media.mit.edu/press/speechome/speechome-cogsci.pdf
and
http://web.media.mit.edu/~dkroy/papers/pdf/bcroy_frank_roy_cogsci2009.pdf

While there doesn't seem to be one conclusive or even complete study on this question, piecing together various studies think yields a decent enough estimate.

See the blog posts below for a fairly thorough (and sourced!) analysis. A rough back of the envelope calculation seems to indicate that taking into consideration conversation, television and reading, an average North American adult is exposed to approximately 2 million word tokens per month. This doesn't take into consideration writing or 'ambient' words etc. But basically, it seems to indicate that we hit the 100 million word token count every ~3-5 years.

Best,
Ali

====
Brett Reynolds:

All I can offer you is my own back-of-the-envelope calculation here:

<http://english-jack.blogspot.com/2007/07/idioms-interpreting-frequencies.html>

Best,
Brett

====

a comment on his post, also led to this very interesting blog as well (with relevant information):
http://learnalanguageortwo.blogspot.com/2009/06/alls-well-in-tv-land.html

===