[ontolog-forum] Triadic Sign Relations

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:10:48 -0400
Rich,    (01)

A ''sign relation'' is a set of elementary sign relations,
each of which is an ordered triple of the form (o, s, i).
In each triple, o is the "object", s is the "sign", and
i is the "interpretant sign", or "interpretant" for short.
Another way of saying this is that a sign relation L is
a subset of the cartesian product O x S x I of three sets,
called the "object domain" O, the "sign domain" S, and the
"interpretant (sign) domain" I.    (02)

That is the basic structure of a sign relation,
to which may be added many other dimensions of
interest, for instance, determination in time
or relative clarity of signs and interpretants.    (03)

As far as an "interpreter", "interpretive agent",
or "process of interpretation" is relevant to the
theory of sign relations, it may be identified with
the whole of some particular sign relation.    (04)

Cf. http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/SignRelation.html    (05)

Jon Awbrey    (06)

> John,
>
> While reading Peirce and related materials, I get a little uncertain over
> the terminology that different writers use.  It seems to me that there is
> ONLY ONE relation that requires three entries, and it contains the following
> properties:
>
> Interpretation event comprises:
> - "Sign" which is a distinct physical manifestation, communicable, object;
> - "Referent" the interpretation placed on the sign object;
> - "Interpretant" agent who interprets sign as referent in her belief system.
>

> Do I have the terms right, or do you (and/or others) used different terms
> for those three roles?
>
> Is the relation usually called "Interpretation" by Peirceans, or is there a
> preferred term for that triple also?
>
> Thanks for clarifying,
> -Rich
>
> Sincerely,