[ontolog-forum] Fw: Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "sean barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:47:17 -0000

Pat

   Conceptually, a point is a zero dimensional subspace of an n dimensional manifold (n > 0), In linear algebra, this means that all the entries of a tuple in the space are set to constants. There's the rub. No sane mathematician would say, for example, that the vector (0, 0) is identical to the vector (0,0,0). This raise the question, "what do we mean by conceptually"

It would appear that when I say, " Conceptually, a point is a zero dimensional subspace of an n dimensional manifold " that what I mean is that I can group an infinite family thingies by a common characteristic, that is, there is an encompassing manifold, and that within the subspace of the manifold defined by the point thingy, there is no freedom to move anywhere within that subspace. One might remark that calling something a point is the opening move in "a game played this way" (I think I'm quoting Wittgenstein in his Remarks on the Foundations of Mathematics, but my copy's gone AWOL), and that the conceptulisation of a point refers to a process of interpretation (of playing a game), rather than saying there is a *thing* which is "concept of a point". There is no way to evaluate the propstion "X and Y are the same point", we can only evaluate propositions of the form "In manifold M,  and Y are the same point". Hence we cannot ask "Is (0, 0) the same point as (0, 0, 0)" since there is no comon manifold.

So, over the manifold of propositions, TRUE is a single point. BTW, within the definition of point, there is no specification of the type of the tuples. If calling TRUE a point seems odd, then I would simply note that most logics are homomorphic to one of the modulo groups, with classical logic being mapped to modulo 2. In modulo 2,  2 = 0, and so there is very little interesting that can be said about the geometry of logic, and so very little that can usefully be said about TRUE being a point.

With respect to lines of zero length - they would be useful in a formal system consisting only of lines to give closure to operations, on the other hand, if the formal system has both lines and points,whether zero length lines are an algebraic necessity would depend on the definition of the operators. BTW, a concept of a type is basically a domain of values and a set of operators on the valures. Mathematicians generally like operators that are total (apply to every value or value tuple) and which the result is also a value in the domain. Hence the remark on closure.

Sean Barker