Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:21:25 -0500

Ali,

  Just one clarification, and then I have to take a few weeks breather from this thread.  I find the discussion useful but right now have a very full plate.

[AH] > 2) You have disparaged the results I showed you as being not practical or too restricted or, to be honest, I don't understand your criticism. The results are extensible. Maybe you don't see the implications of these results?

No, I did not intend any disparagement at all.  I think that the work you are doing is very valuable, and it or something like it will be needed in order to make the FO work.  I am just suggesting that that tactic *by itself* is not enough to efficiently support interoperability.  I know you differ on this, so we can just leave it as a difference of opinion right now.  I don’t think either of us can present examples of applications that show how our different approaches actually support general interoperability in practice.

[AH] > Perhaps you might point me to a "practical" large scale FOL ontology that is actually being deployed?

As of now, of course Cyc is the biggest but the actual applications using CYC are proprietary and not accessible to public inspection.  The fascinating SIRI system just released does use an ontology to integrate its modules, but we don’t know the details of how the ontology is used there.  The ontology itself is presumably some variant of the KM ontology developed by Porter, but I have no idea of what details they use – internals of SIRI are proprietary, though the application can be used on an iPhone.  Interesting for me is that Porter also was concerned (at one point – I don’t know about now) about semantic primitives, but considered the Longman defining vocabulary and decided he didn’t need the whole thing.  His application goals were more limited, so that makes sense.

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416