Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:37:00 -0500
Mike,
Re:
> [PC] > For the given case, the sociobiology domain ontology would in
> effect be defining a subtype of human that is descended from early
hominids
> "HumansDescendedFromAfricanHominids", and the assertions in that
> ontology would be about that subtype, whatever term is used to label it in
the
> sociobiology ontology.
>

> [Mike Bennet] Why would anyone want the resulting ontology to assert that,
in the
> real world there are humans and there is a special subtype of humans who
> happen to be descended from early hominids in Africa? Aren't we all?
> Who are these others?    (01)

   What I said was that the **logical** effect of adding a necessary
condition to some class is to create a subtype of that original class:
whether or not there are instances not belonging to that subtype or whether
the subtype is intended to replace the existing class are questions of fact
and options of usage.  The logical effect holds regardless of what we decide
to do with that new subtype.    (02)

   Perhaps a different way of looking at this case will make the point
clearer:
   If domain ontology M asserts some new necessary condition about a class
in the FO (say, in effect creating class CM), and if that condition is
specified using existing elements in the FO, then any user ontology system U
using the FO will be able to properly *interpret* assertions about that
class CM.  And, if the using system merges its own ontology with domain
ontology M, it will also be able to reason to see how the assertions in
ontology M affect entities of interest to the developers of U.
  Now, being able to properly *interpret* an assertion does not mean that
any system is forced to *believe* it.   When a system uses an external M
(specified using the FO) to interpret data modeled by that ontology M, all
it is doing is saying    (03)

 "**IF** the assertions in M are true,
  **THEN** this is what the implications are for things of interest to me".     (04)

 This is what I do when I read new information, and what the computers can
do if all the ontologies are specified using a common FO.  The question of
whether to trust or believe information received is a totally different
question from whether it can be properly interpreted.  It is the ability to
interpret that I am concerned about.    (05)

The developers of user ontology U have the option of adding the assertions
of M to its own ontology, or rejecting them completely.  No matter, ontology
U will be able to interpret the information that was posted and determine
its relevance to their purposes.    (06)

For the example case, the reasoning would be of the sort "If all humans are
descended from African Hominids, then the information INF implies that . .

Pat    (08)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416