Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology Registry / Repository [was - Re: Foundation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:13:57 -0800
(I'm moving this segment of the conversation to this "where can we put
it" thread ... to segregate it from the "what is an FO, or what should
it be" discussion ...)    (01)

> [JSF]  ... Yim has been doing
> a good job in hosting ontolog forum and the related web sites.
> Therefore, he should have the right of first refusal to host
> whatever this group develops.    (02)

[ppy]  Thank you John. ... only if I am capable, obviously, and, if
what I have to offer can do (at least) an equal or (hopefully) better
job than the alternatives.    (03)

> [JP]  the remaining question, it seems to me,
> would be whether Peter has the facilities to
> host a public SVN. I think he does in relation to
> some of his wiki work.    (04)

[ppy]  correct, Jack ... Yes, we do provide SVN (subversion
repository) hosting. For those who are familiar with the CODS [1]
offering, we have been hosting a SVN repository [2] for CODS since
late 2007.    (05)

That said, though, version control and software configuration
management tools such as SVN (CVS, PVCS, Visual SourceSafe, and the
like) falls miserably short of being adequate for ontologies. For one,
they just aren't able to provide the necessary "diff's" in the case of
Ontologies, where one would obviously want to compare, say elements
within an ontology, that at a much finer granular level than that of
"the file." (Tim Redmond had mentioned some of that in one of our
earlier presentations on CODS before.)    (06)

That shortcoming is among one of the drivers for the need for Ontology
Repositories ... and then came the OOR Initiative, OntologySummit2008,
... and ... please fast-forward to this Friday's OOR "developers"
session - http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2010_02_19    (07)

 To those who are interested, please come join us in the discussion
this Friday (Feb-19) ... as well as the upcoming "content" and "use
cases" sessions (there even an "IPR" session being planned.)  ... RSVP
(by emailing me offline), if you haven't already [4].    (08)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy    (09)

Ref....    (010)

  [1]  CODS -  a joint Stanford-BMIR/CIM3 effort to provide a
Collaborative Ontology Development Service and Infrastructure to the
ontology community at large. see:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CODS    (011)

  [2]  CODS' subversion repository access - see:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CODS/HostedServerConfiguration#nid9ZY    (012)

  [3]  Ontolog session dated 11-Oct-2007 - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_10_11
 .... in particular, see TimRedmond's slide#6    (013)

  [4]  Your invitation -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-invitation/2010-02/msg00007.html
---    (014)