Re: [ontolog-forum] Chairs - was Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:48:48 -0500
Doug,  Sean,
  I agree generally with your comments, but would add some additional
comments:    (01)

[Sean Barker] > > A chair is not defined by its form, but by the processes
that humans apply to create and use it    (02)

>> However there is nothing of itself that makes a chair a chair (think
> of
> > the 60's fad for pod shaped chairs hanging from the ceiling).
> > Basically, chair is an artefact designed and manufactured for a
> single
> > adult
> > human to sit on, clear of the floor. This definition eliminates
> >   - Rocks
> >   - Logs
> >   - Tables (which can be sat on)
> >   - Benches, pews, settles, sofas
> >   - Cushions
> > However, the definition would need a few tweeks to eliminate car
> seats,
> > ejector seats, lavatories, bosun's chairs, etc.

[DF] > ... stools, bicycle seats, ...  Wouldn't a back support be needed.
> Why exclude children's chairs?  My main point here is that various
> existing ontologies would have different descriptive derinitions.
> Most would have defined their local terms on the basis of object
> features.
> This definition is based on the intent of the designer & manufacturer
> instead of intrinsic properties of the object.

   The only stable way I have found thus far to logically specify the
meanings of artifacts is to describe them as objects that are *designed* to
serve a particular purpose.  In some cases there may also be necessary
properties.  Thus we might have an ontology type labeled "Chair" which is a
physical object that can be moved by one person, and is designed to support
one person in a sitting position on a horizontal surface, and has a back
support.  That would include folding chairs, even when they are folded.  It
would exclude seats designed to be bolted to a floor, or seats too heavy to
move (perhaps a stone throne?), and stools, and some modernistic objects
that the manufacturers call "chair".  No problem.  What people **call** a
chair is a different problem from what ontology entity might be labeled a
"Chair".  If someone needs a chair-like object that has different
properties, it can also be included in the ontology, under a different
ontology label, and if the user desires, can be mapped to the term "chair"
in any terminology used in any context.      (03)

The point here is that what a user chooses to map to a linguistic label is
completely arbitrary to that user.  The entities in the ontologies should be
as well defined as practical, and whether one or another or several of those
ontology entities happens to suit the terminological needs of some user,  is
a matter for the linguistic mapping.  So Wittgenstein may not be able to
find any common property in things called "game" but we can still have an
ontology entity called "game" that has as its subtypes all of the much
better defined "games" (sports, board games, hide-and-seek) that people
play; in effect it would be the union of all those other types, even though
they have no common properties.  Though I would not include psychological
"mind games" within such an umbrella category, I would put them elsewhere.
It isn't necessary - if any user wants to refer to  *any* ontology entity as
a "game" they only need to create the proper mapping to the ontology
entity(s) that they want to refer to.    (04)

  I do think it is a good idea to try to make ontology labels as informative
as possible, to avoid misleading the ontologist or database developer.  But
we know that no label will be fully satisfactory to everyone, and that is
not important in ontology development.  It is only important to include
clear logical specifications of the ontology entities people want to use in
their applications, so that they will have entities to map to the labels
used in their applications.  I try to use ontology labels in their most
common sense, and if that is still potentially misleading, leave out the
common words and use more specific terms.  So in the COSMO there is no
entity called simply "Process" because that is used by different communities
in different senses.  But any user can map the word "process" to any
entity(s) whose logical specification(s) seems to fit their intended
meaning, or if none exists, they can create a new one with the desired
logical structure.    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.