Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:12:34 +0000
Thanks Pavithra, I knew there would be some more up to date authority
maintaining this information. Like I said, it illustrates a non problem
in defining real things (in this case, all living things) in a standard
and properly managed way.    (01)

 > The usage of the word "Animal" and its meaning is now limited to two
or four legged animals that live on land  ( not fish, not bird, not
Humans, but to living animals on the land.. )    (02)

In some human language dictionaries, perhaps. Not to a biologist nor
even to any reasonably educated person reading a scientific publication
which uses the word animal. It's a non problem for ontology but a good
description of the sort of challenges that would result in cross
referencing formal taxonomies or ontologies to human dictionaries. I
take John's point that this is also worth doing. But perhaps we should
try to walk before we can fly.    (03)

Mike    (04)

--
Mike Bennett