Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:40:08 -0600
On Feb 4, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Pavithra wrote:
> Ed,
>
> Thank you for your response, and I got the point about axiom!
>
> (Just side note: I do not agree with classification schema!  People are human
>and animals are animals and birds are birds.  I think it is confusing to call
>all of them animals.      (01)

Humans are a undeniably a species of animal no less than apes, lions, and
birds.  I think what you are objecting to (quite correctly) is Ed's use of the
word "person" as a synonym for "human".  To call something a person is to imply
that it has rights and obligations (such as those that come with citizenship).
Hence, personhood is more properly thought of, not as a biological notion, but
as an ethical and social notion (as your reference to citizenship suggests).  I
suspect that Ed was (rather uncharacteristically) just being a bit careless in
his choice of words.    (02)

Chris Menzel    (03)