Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:29:21 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

This is very different:    (02)

> I  have asserted
> at
> every appropriate opportunity that the FO can maintain *all* logically
> compatible views of the same entity, and have translation axioms among
> them,
> so that everyone can express things the way they prefer to.      (03)

MW: If you are going to do this, that means that you have to absorb all
other ontologies into yours, and it is an ontology. Essentially it is
setting out to do the mapping between all the different ontologies. Your set
of terms might be very useful for this, but you do not actually need yet
another ontology itself - there are enough already.    (04)

MW: By the way, I think that mapping between ontologies is one of the most
important projects to work on, because I think this is the best way to
expose weaknesses in the different ontologies when ambiguities when mapped
to something with different ambiguities.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)