[ontolog-forum] 2D drawing primitives (was: Foundation Ontology Primitiv

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:27:13 -0800
(note: changed heading for discussions related to 2D drawing primitives to allow others to filter messages)
Sean:

This is really great insight.  It got me thinking about the issue from a different perspective.  For a computer graphics person or developer, a point is often a single pixel whereby conceptually for an ontologist, you are quite correct in noting that it is a zero radius concept.    The people at my company (adobe) who work on Flex came up with the 5 basic drawing primitives, all based on a pixelated environment (point, fill, line (lines can have arcs in this case), ellipse and rectangle.  The line class is abstract but when sub-typed, has methods such as “lineTo(coord)” which can really be used to make any other shape.  Since a line itself could be expressed as an array of points, the point is truly the primitive here.

Extending the thought, a line with an arc/curvature potential can be used to draw a circle or an ellipse if the line starts and ends at the same place.  How could I have missed this before???  It surprises me that just about every programming language with a graphics package has not adopted the ontological perspective on 2D drawing primitives.

I love the Ontolog forum!!

Duane