Re: [ontolog-forum] new logic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jakub Kotowski <jakubkotowski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:15:03 +0100
Hello Patrick,    (01)

Patrick Cassidy wrote:
>   Naively, I would be curious to see how the function "plus" would be
> described in FOL so that for any two arbitrary integers n and m, the sum
> (plus n m) could be evaluated by FOL reasoning over the set of axioms
> describing the "plus" function.
>    Is this described somewhere in a form that non-mathematicians could
> understand?    (02)

I think the Peano axioms are what you are looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms    (03)

To summarize, the "trick" is to have a unary representation of natural
numbers using a constant symbol 0 and a successor function S. Then 1 is
S(0), 2 is S(S(0)), ...    (04)

Then after axiomatizing the equality relation and properties of natural
number, the plus function can be recursively defined as:    (05)

a + 0 = a
a + S(b) = S(a + b)    (06)

Jakub    (07)