Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 03:01:48 -0700 (PDT)
Dave,

Its true, we have had such invention in the past!   The next layer that gives a smooth, virtual  interface  for that moment in time., . Some got recongnised, but some just passed by...

The person who wrote " ping" ip address  was one of them.  That is how one  machine talks another on the network !

-  GUI interface was one such product

Apple machintosh provided a windows overlaping virtual layer..   They did not get a Nobel prize or all those honors either

It was sun work station that provided unix based windows interface, and ability to  multitask.  They did not get a nobel prize either.

-HTML was such an invention - So we can give credit to Tim Berner Lee.. since the world claims that he did it..

- Internet browser was one of such invention  (

Netscape was one of first products that provided a browser to public who could use the internet..  - However these people did not get a nobel prise, nor got noticed ...  eventually got replaced by a copycat - internet explorer..

- Wireless broad band connection that provides data/voice/vedio exchange is one such interface...

- "Intranet" provided such virtual interface / overlapping layer,  local to an orgnization...  but the data is owned by one organization.. with known data / technology models..

- There are some Semenatic Web / Virtual reality products that have  many Semantic Web  features  already...

I am not saying that it is not impossible.,  I am just saying, interoperability ( the underlying layer..) has its challenges..

Regards,

Pavithra

-